Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Good Bye to Great Grandma Dorn


Just two weeks before our entire family were set to hop on a plane to Houston, Great Grandma Dorn passed away at age 98.  What a full and long life she lived.  It's easy to say that to make yourself feel better, but in all honesty, her passing affected me more than I ever thought it would...I was sad, real sad.  

This post is dedicated to her.  She never met Declan, but Anna was lucky enough to see her twice.  Adell always remembered them, loved to hear stories about them and even managed to predict the gender of each child correctly, way before anyone else.  

I loved her stories about life on the farm, I loved her old-school cooking (pot roast, ginger snap cookies) and most of all, I loved visiting her up at Lake Wisconsin, sitting on the swing, staring out onto the lake eating cheese balls and drinking lemonade.  

Those are my best and most favorite memories of my Grandma.  She may have been more or less than that, but my brain doesn't seem to let me remember beyond being eight.  And that's okay with me because the make me smile even at 32.  

That's the point, isn't it?  That we live our life a certain way as a mother...we love and nurture the best we can.  We will certainly fail and we'll have a few triumphs, but in the end (for me), all I want is for my kids and grand kids to remember me for simple pleasures - things that made them happy in a moment that will hopefully be locked in time forever.  

We love you Great Grandma Dorn.  You were a wonderful wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, grandma and great grandma all wrapped up into one person...what an accomplished life.








No comments: