Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Letter to My Daughter

Hi baby girl -

I just put you down for your (very predictible) morning nap and felt the need to write you a note. We're quickly approaching the end of the summer (your first summer), the beginning of your second fall and your 1st birthday. Even though the thought of you being one already is making me sad (because I love you so much), I wanted to let you know how happy you've made me this year.

Anna, I've had the best year of my entire life. You've brought nothing but happiness and joy into our lives each and every day. I've never loved mornings so much. Your Dad and I sometimes fight over who gets to go into your bedroom and get you from your crib. Everytime we sneak into your room, you look at us with the biggest smile. It's like you're the most excited you've ever been to see us...every morning! I love that you love me (us) so much. It's a magical feeling.

I've loved our mornings playing and our breakfasts together. I've loved our runs in the stroller and walks in the neigborhood. I've loved our picnic lunches at the park and playdates with friends. I've loved our discoveries (grass, flowers, ducks, water fountains) and our quiet times and cuddle sessions. I've loved our trips to the Lake and swims in the pool. You've made each little moment special when I wouldn't have thought twice about it. This has been the best summer because of you. You've made it possible to slow down, take it all in, enjoy little things and moments and get excited about everything again. You're soaking everything in, and in the process, have made me soak it all in, again. I feel refreshed, rejuvinated and, in a way, reborn

I look at pictures and I can't believe how much you've grown. It seems like your face changes every day. You now have a dimple on your right cheak, five beautiful teeth, I slight ridge in your chin, wonderfully crazy blonde hair and the cutest, fatest legs on earth.

Just this past week you started to pull yourself up on all our furniture and "cruise" around our room. It was the glimpse into your life as a walker. With that, I saw you for the first time as a little girl and not just a baby. It was wonderful and I'm so thankful I've been here to see all of it.

I love you so much, my Anna Bear, my Missy May, my Woman, my Anna Sophia. You're the light of my life and the most fun I've ever had. I'll never, ever forget the amazing summer of 2009, when my baby girl became a beautiful person right before my eyes. I love you and I look forward to a hundred more summers with you.

Just in case I should ever forget, I'm jotting down the song I've sung to you everyday since the day you were born:

Anna Sophia, I love you
Anna Sophia, yes I do
Anna Sophia, I love you
Oh yes, Oh yes, yes I do
I love you so very much
Oh yes, Oh yes I do
Anna Sophia, I love you
Oh yes, Oh yes I do

No comments: